Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Fluttering Flags


After the recent losses in Afghanistan its appropriate to take a moment to reflect on what is going on in 30 more American homes this week. 30 more empty places at family dinners, many more children without their father (I haven't heard of any female service people lost in this incident), parents without a child, siblings missing their best friend. Although I don't believe any Wisconsin heroes were lost in the helicopter crash, families from Hawaii to Delaware are reeling this week - and forever.

Each time another flag is added, another plaque has to be manufactured, my heart sinks. Every time I drive through the rows when the flags are being put in place for holidays, I study the names of the various plaques, think about the heroes' families and say a silent prayer.

No comments:

Contributors